One of the most developing sectors in West Bengal is iron and steel. Howrah has so many manufacturing units, warehouses, and offices related to the iron and steel sector. A major part of Howrah's population is involved in this and has become the daily bread earner. Sadly, but truly; as seen in most parts of India, infrastructure is the cost to pay for a prosperous future. Unfortunately, Howrah lacks the most common infrastructure – good roads.

The Grand Trunk Road - which cuts through the heart of the city - is intolerable. Leave aside the other roads and streets. They can hardly be called roads; they are better translated as "pot holes". The Dharamtala Road, where most of the manufacturing units exist is a state-of-the-art roller coaster. As far as my memory goes, I don't remember seeing the road been repaired once in my lifetime. And I don't think I could have missed it as I've lived here for over 20 years.

It is beyond my knowledge to understand what hinders the local municipality to do something about these roads. The UK Government has promised to invest Rs. 1,000 crores in Howrah for infrastructural development. I hope this money gets through the trap of politician's pockets and reaches its final destiny - Howrah.

Click to find the source of this photo
Howrah Roads during rainy season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its howrah u see

Kuldip Kumar Garhwal said...

dont get me started on that again