On 18 October 2008, I happened to go to a Gujarati Food Festival which was organised by the Space Circle Club at the Oddyesey restaurant at the club. I went along with my friend Vineet, who resides at Space Town. 

There was an array of Gujarati food offered at the buffet table. They had served everything: appetisers, main course and sweet dishes. Few of the Gujarati cuisine names which I remember are Dhokla, Thepla, Khakra, Sri Khand, Pooran Poli, Fulka, Oondhiyan, Bateta Sukhi Bhaji, Khandvi, Chat, Cholafali, and Fafda (there were many more items but I forgot there names.)


A Traditional Gujarati Thali

After trying all the different cusines, I came to the conclusion that Gujarati food is generally sweet. Even the daal was sweet. Actually very sweet. So to check, whether the food festival people served me the right food or not, i did some research on the internet and this is what I found out: 

"It is common to add a little sugar or jaggery to some of the sabzi/shaak and daal. The sweet flavour of these dishes is believed to neutralize the slightly salty taste of the water. Sweets made from such ingredients as local sugar cane, jaggery, milk, almonds, and pistachios were originally served at weddings and family occasions as an instant energy booster for relations travelling long distances to attend. They are now being enjoyed every day by those with sedentary occupations." - Wikipedia.

"The famous Gujarati thali served at weddings consists of farsans, sweetmeats and a variety of sweet and sour chutneys and pickles. This harmony is derived from the mixing of the sweet with the salty is what makes the cooking of this state different from the rest." - GujaratPlus.

So hence prooved that Gujarati cuisines are sweet. Some photos which I clicked from my MOTOROKR:



Vineet in the black tshirt




Missing people.

Find out more about Gujarati cuisine / food from here:

1 comments:

Unknown said...

what credibility does wikipedia has on gujarati food?